Updating the Area Code in the Phone1 Field
Area codes are always changing. AccuZIP6 can update the area code information in your list. When you Validate, AccuZIP6 will create a field named area_ with the update area code for each record. The following instructions will guide you through updating the phone1** field with the updated area code.*
- With your list open, from the Special menu, choose Validate Records.
- Check the Area Code check box under Output. Setup the rest of the Validate Records window as usual.
- Click Validate.
- If a Missing Fields window displays, click OK to let AccuZIP6 add the missing fields needed.
- When Validation is complete, from the Edit menu, choose Command.
- Click the New button to add a new command.
- Type 'Update Area Code' in the Save As box.
- Press the TAB key on your keyboard to move your cursor to the Command Statement Syntax text box.
- Type the following Command Statement:
replace phone1 with stuff(phone1,2,3,left(area_,3)) for "(" $ phone1
- Click Run.
*The phone field must be formatted as follows for the command to work:
**If you would like to update the phone2 or phone3 field, replace phone1 in the command with phone2 or phone3.