Problems importing data when edited in Office '07?

Exporting expressions and information including exporting data in presort order or import order, and importing information, along with error messages that may apply to this category.

Moderators: Chrissy, Steve, Terry, Donna, Dave, Eric, MartyH, Kristen, Geoff, Vince

iowadirt
Private

Problems importing data when edited in Office '07?

Post by iowadirt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:40 am

I have found that if I edit an xls file in office '07, I am not able to import it into accuzip. These are files that are saved in the xls format. I haven't tried the new xlsx files, but assume they won't import either.

I select the list to input, and accuzip reads the fine, then goes back reads "Unknown File Format".

I am able to save the same file to a csv and open it that way, but this is creating an extra step that I would like to be able to do without.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Mary Beth
Best Regards - Mary Beth

Terry
Site Admin

Post by Terry » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:35 pm

Unfortunately, saving the file as a CSV is the only workaround. Excel files have formatting and structure issues that Excel can easily pick up and work around, but when you leave that environment and bring it into another application (like Microsoft Visual FoxPro, which AccuZIP6 is written in), a lot of the built-in error correction and formatting language is lost. The reason why saving as a CSV and importing works is because it gets rid of the structure entirely, leaving the unformatted data.

There's no other way to solve that issue, unfortunately.