Option to export full length

For suggestions on AccuZIP6 5.0 improvements and info on new and upcoming features

Moderators: Chrissy, Steve, Terry, Donna, Dave, Eric, MartyH, Kristen

scalda
Private

Option to export full length

Post by scalda » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:57 pm

I often import very large lists with a drop indicator field. I use the search features to isolate a given drop and then presort that drop. The issue is that when you go to write out the label file there is no way to use a template to export the data. If you create a template and save it, it saves the length of the sequence_ as the current length. This means that if the first drop had 1000 records and you saved the template, then process drop 2 and it has 10000 records, the field is truncated to the precision of the first drop's sequence_. If there was a way to indicate that you want to export the full length somehow it would be very helpfull. As it stand now the export templates are almost useless to me.

Thanks

Terry
Site Admin

Post by Terry » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:38 pm

A useful suggestion. One thing you may try doing, though, is increasing the width on the first export map that you save. If you're using a common export map, then by increasing the length of that field (sequence_ in this example) to 6 or 7, then the only time you'd run into an issue is if you had more than 1 million records that you're exporting. There's no penalty for setting a field width wider than necessary, and it avoids the problem you're having currently.

Also, version 5.0 exports a sequence_ field as a default 7 every time. So if the map was created in 5.0, it shouldn't be an issue on that particular field. Were you working in version 5.0 or 4.0?
Last edited by Terry on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kristen

Export Length

Post by Kristen » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:40 pm

Did you try saving an Export Map and changing the length of the Sequence_ to something larger than the default (ie. change it to 50). You can then choose this Export Map each time you do an export and the Length of the Sequence_ field that is being exported shouldn't get truncated.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:43 pm

The current beta version of AccuZIP6 5.0 creates a sequence field for the presort file that is a width of 7, regardless of the amount of records in your database. If you have 1000 records and you export the presorted data, your sequence field will look like 0001000. Record 10000 will have 0010000 in the sequence field.
Chat with an AccuZIP6 technician weekdays from 7-4 PST with AccuZIP6 Live Online Support

scalda
Private

Export Issue

Post by scalda » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:04 pm

I have not tried it again in the newer version. Thanks for the other suggestions on the older version, and sounds like its a non issue in the newer. My life suddenly got just a little bit easier. Always a good thing.